Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Huge Casting Spoiler
Topic Started: Jun 12 2014, 07:57 PM (10,497 Views)
maconrich
Member Avatar

Drew
Jun 14 2014, 11:31 AM
I really dislike this trend of soaps recasting their aged-legacy characters with younger/cheaper versions.
That seems to be how GH and Days work. The two shows have switched actors for about as long as I can remember. But not re-casting -- making a new character instead works much better for me.. This getting actors from other soaps seems a little different, but i can see why they are doing it. I can think of a lot of vet actors GH could use and should use, and others most likely not so much.

I'll admit I like shows best when they have an even balance of age groups (and number of males and females). For me the Emma, Cameron, and Spencer stufff might make me smile at times - but more than not often they grind on my nerves. I can't see the summer / schools out group going being interested in those characters either. But it does sound like they're fixing to change the age dynamics, and as long as they keep screen time balanced it could up the ratings.

A lot of words to say I agree with you...
Edited by maconrich, Jun 16 2014, 12:06 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Zuh
Member Avatar

Thing is--
the old are old..
perhaps they even would like to retire, but keep on keeping on because that is what they do..
More than likely the old vets love their shorter time on screen..
Fans can be very demanding and the old actors are old, their health may not even be as good as they seem..

We are lucky that they, all/the older have not retired and still give us their time..
they can not go on forever..

Most likely the older have requested shorter screen time, and I do not blame them for that ..
Offline Profile Goto Top

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Zuh
Jun 15 2014, 04:13 PM
Thing is--
the old are old..
perhaps they even would like to retire, but keep on keeping on because that is what they do..
Fans can be very demanding and the old actors are old, their health may not even be as good as they seem..

We are lucky that they, all/the older have not retired and still give us their time..

Most likely the older have requested shorter screen time, and I do not blame them for that ..
I'm sorry, but who are talking about when you say old? When you start mentioning retirement and health problems, I think of someone age 70 and above. The actors that are being talked about in this thread, Billy Miller, Steve Burton, etc. are in their 30's and early 40's. I don't think that retirement or health problems are an issue. The comment seems to be out of left field ... :shrug:
Edited by JDeveraux_91, Jun 18 2014, 08:50 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

maconrich
Member Avatar

JDeveraux_91
Jun 18 2014, 08:49 AM
Zuh
Jun 15 2014, 04:13 PM
Thing is--
the old are old..

I'm sorry, but who are talking about when you say old? When you start mentioning retirement and health problems, I think of someone age 70 and above. The actors that are being talked about in this thread, Billy Miller, Steve Burton, etc. are in their 30's and early 40's. I don't think that retirement or health problems are an issue. The comment seems to be out of left field ... :shrug:

Can't speak for the OP but for me it means the older - as in seriously older - generations that were in their prime in say the late 70s - early 80s. And what's worse is seeing what so many of the older people - and not just on GH - do to themselves to try to look younger. I didn't think of Steve B, Billy Miller (no clue who he even is aside from looking at an online photo) and for sure not Sam. That woman could easily pass for ten years (or more) younger than she really is. Again only my opinion...

Edited by maconrich, Jun 21 2014, 02:14 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sandell

All I can say is if some of you never seen Billy Miller act, you are all in for a big surprise, the guy is awesome in everything he does or acts.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sandell

Grandpa Hughes
Jun 13 2014, 10:58 AM
And I hear Brenda Dickson, Victoria Rowell and Joan Collins are all on their way. Just keep the groper off the set!
WHAT? Is this for real?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sandell

Someone here asked , what we thought of Michelle Stafford as "Nina" ?

I'll tell you what I think.

MS is rockin it to her core. She reminds me of that crazy girl "Phyliis" at Y&R in the beginning when she first came on the scene.

I was so sad when she left Y&R . When I heard she was coming here to GH, I was beside myself.

And now Billy Miller coming to GH..well that's the cherry on top of the cake!! If you think GH is good now, it'll only get better with these two in the mix.

I can promise you, you will enjoy them both, or love to hate.
Offline Profile Goto Top

maconrich
Member Avatar

Sandell, sounds good to me! MS made a strong impression last week - and she totally rocked Friday's episode! I'm curious about Billy Miller, and it's good to hear some feedback about him ahead of time :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

LPS
Member Avatar

Sandell
Jun 21 2014, 09:49 AM
All I can say is if some of you never seen Billy Miller act, you are all in for a big surprise, the guy is awesome in everything he does or acts.
Yes, no one mugs for the camera likes Miller.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Sandell
Jun 21 2014, 09:54 AM
Grandpa Hughes
Jun 13 2014, 10:58 AM
And I hear Brenda Dickson, Victoria Rowell and Joan Collins are all on their way. Just keep the groper off the set!
WHAT? Is this for real?
No. Haha. I don't even remember posting that but I was kidding.
Offline Profile Goto Top

aph1976

Zuh
Jun 14 2014, 09:28 PM
GH has a large cast nonetheless they use it very well..I like the rotation of stories..The actors like their time to pursue other projects and GH gives the time to them to do that, by having a larger rotating cast..FV would never cast Billy Miller as AJ or Jason..It is rare a known soap actor, a star, replaces another star on a different soap..
soap stars can go to another soaps in a roll created for them, but never to replace a star/character with a star known character... new rolls are offered them.. no vet star wants to replace another vet star character.. ..
Thorsten Kaye who is a well known soap actor replaced Ronn Moss as Ridge as B&B.So that's proof a well known actor can and will replace another actor on a soap.As for Billy Miller i think he'll be playing Jason but the question might be is it the same Jason we last saw or has he gotten all his memories back?So he could return as jason Morgan or as Jason Quartermaine or even a combination.
Edited by aph1976, Jun 22 2014, 03:48 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

meaghan

aph1976
Jun 22 2014, 03:38 PM
Zuh
Jun 14 2014, 09:28 PM
GH has a large cast nonetheless they use it very well..I like the rotation of stories..The actors like their time to pursue other projects and GH gives the time to them to do that, by having a larger rotating cast..FV would never cast Billy Miller as AJ or Jason..It is rare a known soap actor, a star, replaces another star on a different soap..
soap stars can go to another soaps in a roll created for them, but never to replace a star/character with a star known character... new rolls are offered them.. no vet star wants to replace another vet star character.. ..
Thorsten Kaye who is a well known soap actor replaced Ronn Moss as Ridge as B&B.So that's proof a well known actor can and will replace another actor on a soap.As for Billy Miller i think he'll be playing Jason but the question might be is it the same Jason we last saw or has he gotten all his memories back?So he could return as jason Morgan or as Jason Quartermaine or even a combination.
Also Gina Tognoni is taking over the role of Phyllis on Y&R.
Offline Profile Goto Top

nananana7
Member Avatar

At the Emmys, June 22nd, Michael Fairman interviewed Billy Miller.

Quote from the article:
As to all the rumors that have surfaced that Miller is heading to General Hospital, Billy replied: "There are all these rumors! I mean, who knows what the future holds . but I love the genre and I hope we can continue to do these things. (Referring to the Daytime Emmys)
End quote.

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/billy-miller-video-interview-41st-annual-daytime-emmy-winner-outstanding-lead-actor/2014/06/26/
Offline Profile Goto Top

kelly777
Member Avatar

On this interview ^^ I can't hear very well what Billy Miller said but I thought it was something to the effect that this was the last time for him at one of these events. Anybody else hear that? Plus, I saw on another board where there was a new actor onboard that looked like Steve Burton. I'm kind of wondering if the rumor won't pan out at all whereby Billy is supposed to be going to GH. :shrug: :wtf:
Offline Profile Goto Top

nananana7
Member Avatar

kelly777
Jun 28 2014, 05:42 PM
On this interview ^^ I can't hear very well what Billy Miller said but I thought it was something to the effect that this was the last time for him at one of these events. Anybody else hear that?

The *text* of the article says
in reference to the Emmy putting a nice cap on his terrific portrayal and time at Y&R .....
Miller stated, "It's bittersweet. This is the end ... of the end ... of the end, it's done. It's been not done, and tonight it's done."

It seems that Billy Miller was saying that winning the Emmy
-- was "closure" of his life at Y&R.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kelly777
Member Avatar

^^ I'm going to try and find it again because after the "dead/done" part, I thought he said something about how he won't be doing this event again (meaning the Emmy's). But like I said I can't here it so well. My left ear is causing me problems!! Talking about old.
Offline Profile Goto Top

EJamandBread
Member Avatar

JDeveraux_91
Jun 13 2014, 09:24 AM
DawnElicia
Jun 13 2014, 03:05 AM
isn't the cast oversize as it is.
Yeah, it's enormous. They should be cutting the dead weight instead of hiring more big name actors whose role they will screw up.
The huge cast has been a huge asset for GH. They are able to move storylines along every single day because there are so many SL's to choose from. It also allows the show to keep a ball in the air and not bore fans to tears because the writers want the reveal to intersect another SL. It's probably really expensive, but it's helping make GH killer right now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tylerbo20

i wish days had the balls to be like GH not just Daniels Lives
Offline Profile Goto Top

Bo -N- Hope
Member Avatar
FANCYFACE & BRADY

Yes to Billy Miller on GH!! I will be tuning in! That guy over at Y&R who plays Billy now sucks! Wonder how the Phelps likes having her stars running to GH LOL!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Yoryla
Member Avatar

EJamandBread
Jun 30 2014, 08:45 PM
JDeveraux_91
Jun 13 2014, 09:24 AM
DawnElicia
Jun 13 2014, 03:05 AM
isn't the cast oversize as it is.
Yeah, it's enormous. They should be cutting the dead weight instead of hiring more big name actors whose role they will screw up.
The huge cast has been a huge asset for GH. They are able to move storylines along every single day because there are so many SL's to choose from. It also allows the show to keep a ball in the air and not bore fans to tears because the writers want the reveal to intersect another SL. It's probably really expensive, but it's helping make GH killer right now.
IMO it's just the opposite. The overblown, oversized cast only worsens GH's storytelling. They shouldn't *have* so many storylines that they can "choose" what to air on which day and which storylines to keep on the shelve for a month.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic