Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of August 11th; *updated 8/4*
Topic Started: Aug 2 2014, 11:11 PM (20,101 Views)
normallynorm

Mitchapalooza
Aug 5 2014, 05:53 PM
LuvingLumi
Aug 5 2014, 05:47 PM
normallynorm
Aug 5 2014, 08:12 AM
james0479
Aug 5 2014, 07:01 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Sally Sussman-Morina wrote the Princess Gina story up until she left the show in the summer of 1999 (when, interesting enough, she was replaced by Lorraine Broderick for about two months before she was replaced by Tom Langan a couple months after that). Her stint ended around the time Hope was locked in the castle with Stefano and Gina took over Hope's life. She also created the role of Nicole Walker.

Unfortunately, SSM was responsible for Sub-sex and the horrid Carrie/Mike affair, but the rest of her reign was pretty good. She wrote Eric and Greta as a couple and I adored them together. I also loved when Vivian had the microchip in her tooth, and of course The Killing Pool was truly epic.
I loved Carrie and Mike... Sub sex not so much
I loathed Carrie & Mike....absolutely hated Carrie for cheating on Austin with him.
Carrie and Austin are my favorite supercouple, so I am glad they got back together. In fact, Carrie is my favorite character over all. I am a big fan of the "tortured heroine" type (Marlena, Carly, etc.).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

divnanata

Mason
Aug 3 2014, 06:03 PM
While I'd much rather have her over Tomlin/Whitesell, I honestly think that even if Sheri Anderson did write this show again, a lot of people would be disappointed. There's just something about this show that makes bad writing (no matter who's got the job) seem endemic to it, and it's been that way for a long time. I'm not sure that even Bill Bell himself could get around it.
It probably has something to do with network demands that lead to stupid plots and character assassinations all in the name of ratings. What TIIC fail to realize is that good stories far outweigh the popularity of the actors (I'm pretty sure...) in captivating viewers and keeping them glued to their sets. In the new age of tracking "Q" ratings the 'suit's are all about the wrong numbers. Soaps are an old school phenomenon that shouldn't be dealt with in the way modern television writing panders to the attention span and libido of bored teenagers. Enough with just the sex! Give us real romance with substance and angst and back stories and good dialogue.

normallynorm

divnanata
Aug 6 2014, 11:38 AM
Mason
While I'd much rather have her over Tomlin/Whitesell, I honestly think that even if Sheri Anderson did write this show again, a lot of people would be disappointed. There's just something about this show that makes bad writing (no matter who's got the job) seem endemic to it, and it's been that way for a long time. I'm not sure that even Bill Bell himself could get around it.
It probably has something to do with network demands that lead to stupid plots and character assassinations all in the name of ratings. What TIIC fail to realize is that good stories far outweigh the popularity of the actors (I'm pretty sure...) in captivating viewers and keeping them glued to their sets. In the new age of tracking "Q" ratings the 'suit's are all about the wrong numbers. Soaps are an old school phenomenon that shouldn't be dealt with in the way modern television writing panders to the attention span and libido of bored teenagers. Enough with just the sex! Give us real romance with substance and angst and back stories and good dialogue.
I would like to agree with your post, but I just can't with the anti-teenager sentiment. As a young person, my favorite characters are older vets like John and Marlena. In fact, my youngest faves are Carrie and Austin--both in their 40s! I did enjoy the Last Blast Crew back int he day (we're around the same age), but I have always favoured the older characters because of their history and connections.

Sandell

.Dammm, that 1997 Kristen and Marlena's Catfight sure was good!!!

divnanata

normallynorm
Aug 6 2014, 12:04 PM
divnanata
Aug 6 2014, 11:38 AM
Mason
I would like to agree with your post, but I just can't with the anti-teenager sentiment. As a young person, my favorite characters are older vets like John and Marlena. In fact, my youngest faves are Carrie and Austin--both in their 40s! I did enjoy the Last Blast Crew back int he day (we're around the same age), but I have always favoured the older characters because of their history and connections.
I do tend to blast today's teens sometimes and I know I shouldn't but they have grown up with a different sort of television viewing pattern than mine. Back in the day there were no other options in the afternoon. The budgets for soaps were much higher and there were nicer sets and location shots. The mystery was there since there were no such things as spoilers. We barely knew anything about the writers or the actors and forget about being able to watch a video tape. We missed shows if we were not home. Primarily the emphasis was on romance in the afternoon. Crazy stuff came along a little later as soaps became more and more outmoded and needed to attack the coveted 18 year old viewer base. I like fun, crazy stuff as well - but not at the expense of real emotions.

Today's viewers demand that they NEVER be bored. They can turn the channel at whim and they do. Basically we - or rather, lots of us -need constant titillation. Romance does a lot better with a slow build that makes sense and Days is constantly missing this boat since they have to accommodate viewers with very short attention spans and options. Plus I get the idea that the writers are told, "Never have any couple stay together for very long or you lose your jobs!"

IIttu
Member Avatar

lysie
Aug 4 2014, 02:59 AM
Monday, August 11, 2014 
Fearing time is running out, Marlena tries her best to get through to comatose John.
Marlena loves John. That's all I want to hear her say, that she loves him. In present tense. I have decided to lower my expectations and set the bar extremely low after countless disappointments regarding to John and Marlena's "story". So this is all I ask: that she loves him, and it's clearly said on screen. Please.

I'm gonna be positively surprised if those scenes last for more than 15s at a time.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

Angie79
Aug 2 2014, 11:11 PM
Monday
Kristen is stunned when she realises the violence Daniel has planned for her.
I'm still confused by what this means. I mean, is Daniel planning to literally drag her back to Salem? String her up in town so people can throw things? This is a weird spoiler...

nananana7

Although I like the actress Eileen Davidson...

I totally loathe the character of Kristen.
But don't want to give her any energy.

My fantasy scenario.

I'd love to see Kristen confined and frustrated, and totally ignored.

I'd love to see the entire town of Salem shun her ...
do the equivalent of putting her on "ignore status".

And then, months from now,
AFTER John awakens and
AFTER Jarlena reconciles,
and AFTER Brady makes amends to BOTH John and Marlena ...
then -- and only then ....

The three of them (John,Marlena,Brady)
can present a united front and
and laugh at her as she's locked up permanently.
And then they just walk away.

She has already taken too many years of their lives.
She is not worthy of any more of their energy.

That is *my* fantasy.

lysie
Member Avatar

blueskies
Aug 7 2014, 10:26 AM
Angie79
Aug 2 2014, 11:11 PM
Monday
Kristen is stunned when she realises the violence Daniel has planned for her.
I'm still confused by what this means. I mean, is Daniel planning to literally drag her back to Salem? String her up in town so people can throw things? This is a weird spoiler...
Fwiw, the official spoilers didn't say anything about violence.

yulyndi

Just wondering what happened to the weekly spoilers that would come out on Thursdays? Happened last week too and I thought it was just a glitch, but now I'm thinking it's ongoing. Can someone please explain, or point me to a thread where it's discussed? Thanks!

AmbernOK
Member Avatar

^^ I was wondering that too!! First, they stopped the National Enquirer spoilers, and now we don't get any spoilers till Monday. What gives???

SKBaldwin

Man, I tell you what--it's gonna be a hell of a week! :biggrin: :popcorn:
Edited by SKBaldwin, Aug 9 2014, 12:10 AM.

SKBaldwin

AmbernOK
Aug 8 2014, 11:53 PM
^^ I was wondering that too!! First, they stopped the National Enquirer spoilers, and now we don't get any spoilers till Monday. What gives???
:rolleyes: Tell me about it.

Restless84
Member Avatar

Last week at this time we had some spoilers. It's so frustrating with no more NE spoilers and now the other spoilers are getting released later and later.

lysie
Member Avatar

yulyndi
Aug 8 2014, 07:22 PM
Just wondering what happened to the weekly spoilers that would come out on Thursdays? Happened last week too and I thought it was just a glitch, but now I'm thinking it's ongoing. Can someone please explain, or point me to a thread where it's discussed? Thanks!
They never came out on Thursdays (which is why I had no idea what you were talking about). They came out randomly throughout the week. Idk why they've stopped. But typically the ones from Austrailia come out on the weekend.

nananana7

Sometimes members post summaries of scoop articles from "TV Soap" magazine from Australia
-- but that magazine "publishes fortnightly" (every other week).

http://www.nextmedia.com.au/tv-soap/tv-soap-magazine.html

WillFan
Member Avatar

Directv Channel Guide Spoilers

Mon 8/11
Kristen realizes what Daniel has planned; Theresa tells Eve to steer clear of Brady; Aiden tells Hope he has a date with Jennifer; Marlena tries to get through to John.

Tue 8/12
Kristen tries to avoid paying for her crimes; Sami decides to take legal action against EJ; Sonny worries Will will regret publishing his article; Hope questions Jennifer about her plans with Aiden.

Wed 8/13
Kristen's return to Salem shakes up everyone's world; EJ comes to a decision about Kristen; Brady gets unexpected news; Sami confronts Nicole about Eric.

Thu 8/14
Kristen goes to Stefano for help; Marlena helps Brady plan his next move; Sonny feels guilty for keeping something from Will; Clyde plans for the future.

Fri 8/15
Sami and Will have a confrontation over his article; EJ warns Kate that Stefano may be after her and Sami; Clyde and Ben make a deal; Rafe makes his case to Jordan.

Kaha
Member Avatar

WillFan
Aug 11 2014, 09:47 AM

Wed 8/13
Kristen's return to Salem shakes up everyone's world; EJ comes to a decision about Kristen; Brady gets unexpected news; Sami confronts Nicole about Eric.

I am always on Sami's side in any feud between her and Nicole because, let's face it, Nicole has done more horrible things to Sami than the other way around.

But in this case, Sami needs to take several seats. She has no right to confront Nicole about her grown ass brother's choices. Besides, I don't know why Sami and Marlena are so invested in Eric being a priest. I don't even remember either one asking him if that's what he really wants.

Sandell

About what year was Marlena's and John's wedding in Hawaii taken?

Thanks in advance

Sandell

yulyndi
Aug 8 2014, 07:22 PM
I believe they are cutting back on their spoilers' because then, the people who watch the show, can decide whether they want to watch the show or not.

Y&R for instance, they really cut back.
Edited by Sandell, Aug 11 2014, 02:06 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply