Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Meredith Baxter to Y&R
Topic Started: Aug 4 2014, 11:22 AM (2,002 Views)
SnowAngel
Member Avatar

Meredith Baxter To The Young And The Restless.
Monday, August 04 2014

Trouble?

Actress Meredith Baxter ("Family Ties") will be coming to Genoa City as a new character, Maureen, according to TV Guide. Maureen will reportedly become Nikki Newman's (Melody Thomas Scott) new drinking buddy, characterized as a charming woman who just may resort to some manipulation to get what she wants - a ritzier lifestyle. Maureen will also cross paths with several other key players on the canvas and is said to have connections in town.

Can these writers come up with any new stuff?? What is different with this strory line than Meggie :toetap: Oh maybe Meggie wasn't Nikki's drinking partner, but I can almost bet a month's pay that "Maureen" puts the moved on Victor. She wants a ritzier lifestyle and has connections in town..... :blah: :blah: :blah: Disgusting!!! Taking Nikki down the drunk road again, that's bad enough........but to bring in another actress from years gone by to mess with her.......... :bleep:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bremol
Member Avatar

I wonder if TIIC will remember that they've given Nikki MS and write her drinking accordingly.

nananana7
Member Avatar

TV Guide article:

Exclusive: Meredith Baxter Joins The Young and the Restless
Michael Logan
Aug 4, 2014 10:13 AM ET
by Michael Logan

According to a rep for the CBS soap, Maureen is a "charming, intelligent, middle-class woman who has always aspired to a more privileged life than she's had. She appears kind and sympathetic, but can be quite manipulative. She is skilled at getting people to do the things she wants them to do by making them think it's their idea!" Adds the rep: "When not hitting the sauce with her new drinking-buddy, Nikki, Maureen will be crossing with several key players on the Y&R canvas."

Baxter will hit Y&R on Monday, Sept. 8 and will be prominent throughout the fall because, word is, boozy Maureen has connections in town!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Meredith-Baxter-Young-Restless-1085235.aspx
Edited by nananana7, Aug 4 2014, 12:47 PM.

normallynorm

Is Maria Arena Bell back? This seems just like her type of stunt casting.

nananana7
Member Avatar

I remember Meredith Baxter when she was Meredith Baxter-Birney.

She portrayed Kristy McNichol's big sister on "Family" in the 1970's

and Micheal J. Fox's mom on "Family Ties" in the 1980s.

She's now 67 years old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Baxter

metitle
Member Avatar

normallynorm
Aug 4 2014, 12:47 PM
Is Maria Arena Bell back? This seems just like her type of stunt casting.
bite your tongue!
anyway, I see where you are coming from because based of the stories coming out of the writers room, it feels like MAB is back.
Seriously, Jill Farren as the lead isn't doing much better than MAB these days.
MAB must be dancing and laughing these days.
Edited by metitle, Aug 4 2014, 03:08 PM.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

nananana7
Aug 4 2014, 12:43 PM
TV Guide article:

Exclusive: Meredith Baxter Joins The Young and the Restless
Michael Logan
Aug 4, 2014 10:13 AM ET
by Michael Logan

According to a rep for the CBS soap, Maureen is a "charming, intelligent, middle-class woman who has always aspired to a more privileged life than she's had. She appears kind and sympathetic, but can be quite manipulative. She is skilled at getting people to do the things she wants them to do by making them think it's their idea!" Adds the rep: "When not hitting the sauce with her new drinking-buddy, Nikki, Maureen will be crossing with several key players on the Y&R canvas."

Baxter will hit Y&R on Monday, Sept. 8 and will be prominent throughout the fall because, word is, boozy Maureen has connections in town!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Meredith-Baxter-Young-Restless-1085235.aspx
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Sounds more like she should be Gloria's buddy, same MO.
I wonder if she will be Mariah's mother?

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

nananana7
Aug 4 2014, 01:00 PM
I remember Meredith Baxter when she was Meredith Baxter-Birney.

She portrayed Kristy McNichol's big sister on "Family" in the 1970's

and Micheal J. Fox's mom on "Family Ties" in the 1980s.

She's now 67 years old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Baxter

I remember her too, I can take her or leave her, I never thought she was that great, but she wasn't annoying..................then.

LPS
Member Avatar

Sounds like Meggie 2.0

normallynorm

Maria Bell gets a bad rap, but I liked her stories for Nina, Paul, Phillip, Cricket and Danny, especially allowing Cricket to find out Phyllis was the one who ran her and Paul over. The same can't be said for Josh Griffith and the current writers, who ruined the only good developments Maria ever accomplished.

LPS
Member Avatar

Maria has to be one of the worst EP of YR history. Her casting decisions is enough evidence. Let's not forget the Silver chipmunk, Meggie, Shiktor, the Phyllis show. And the list goes on.

JFP is not great but she did turn down the crazy and instability. Plus, she doesn't sound like a total moron in interviews. Mara was the John Meyer of soap interviewees.

normallynorm

LPS
Aug 4 2014, 01:59 PM
Maria has to be one of the worst EP of YR history. Her casting decisions is enough evidence. Let's not forget the Silver chipmunk, Meggie, Shiktor, the Phyllis show. And the list goes on.

JFP is not great but she did turn down the crazy and instability. Plus, she doesn't sound like a total moron in interviews. Mara was the John Meyer of soap interviewees.
I agree on those points, but the ones I highlighted worked for me and were the only reason I stuck by the show throughout the MAB era (I hated the focus on Michael Muhney and Billy Miller and Michelle Stafford). I prefer the Chancellors and their friends to the Newmans and Abbotts, and Maria Bell did a very good job with the Chancellors.

LPS
Member Avatar

IMO, Muhney was not a bright spot on MAB's resume nor was Stafford towards the end of MAB's tenure.

metitle
Member Avatar

LPS
Aug 4 2014, 01:40 PM
Sounds like Meggie 2.0
definitely, Meggie 2.0.
Seriously, Y&R dont need anymore 'pop-in for a second' characters.

BlissfulLily
Member Avatar

I wouldn't compare MAB and JFP at all. MAB was a train wreck and every story she dreamed up, maybe she was drunk behind the pen. Every show has it's bumps, MAB's tenure was a frigging rumble strip!

normallynorm

Maria Bell was not that bad. I loved the mystery story when Nina and Paul were trying to find out about Phillip's medical history and how it tied in to exposing Cane as a fraud. I also enjoyed how she brought Deacon Sharpe into the mix, especially with Nikki. IMO, MAB's worst developments were anything Adam, Sharon, Victoria, Cane, Lily, Phyllis or Billy-related, as well as Sarah Smythe (they should have just brought back Sheila), Diane, and Patty/Emily. Oh, and her ridiculous stunt castings were awful. Same with the ungraceful exit for Jana. Still, she was good with some casting, such as Avery and and Leslie. And she did indeed write material for Tricia Cast and Beth Maitland that was Emmy-caliber.

That being said, I hated Meggie, but maybe that's because I can't stand Sean Young. This Maureen does sound like a new Meggie. I have to admit I am over the "drunk Nikki" stuff. It was played to death during MAB's era, and the murder of Diane should have been the end of all that. Unless she ends up on a bender and winds up in LA in Deacon's bed, I am not interested in Drunk Nikki----again!
Edited by normallynorm, Aug 4 2014, 03:43 PM.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

BlissfulLily
Aug 4 2014, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't compare MAB and JFP at all. MAB was a train wreck and every story she dreamed up, maybe she was drunk behind the pen. Every show has it's bumps, MAB's tenure was a frigging rumble strip!
I agree, MAB thought up the worst crap ever to hit the air. Between her and Latham, they almost totally destroyed the show. I like most of what JFP does, except for the bringing back of long gone characters just for the sake of bringing them back.
People leave the show for one of three reasons, everyone hates them, they got a better gig, or they couldn't keep their hands to themselves.
IMO, if they didn't leave for a better gig, they should never come back, didn't like you when you left, don't like you now.

natdot99
Member Avatar

In real life MB was a recovering alcoholic and now she playing one on the Y&R is just plain :bs: :bs: .

BlissfulLily
Member Avatar

Today when Nikki was talking at the AA meeting there was a woman sitting on the far left that looked real familiar but I didn't see her long enough to put a name on her.
There are just some actors and actresses that are not meant to be full time.
Sheila doesn't belong back, Nina, Murphy,Dru, Michael Muhney. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Surprised they're not getting Michael Gross to come back as the Baldwin papa for a reunion with his 80's acting partner.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply