Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Horror Story: Freak Show; Premieres October 8th on FX
Topic Started: Sep 8 2014, 11:29 PM (2,038 Views)
am103
Member Avatar

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I. CANNOT. WAIT!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

BTW here is the trailer for those outside of the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA3zmwfq-5g

Kenny
Member Avatar

New 'AHS: Freak Show' details: Who plays who? What's the plot?

For months we’ve gotten little tidbits on the latest season of American Horror Story, like the character names and guest stars. Now, in EW’s Fall TV Preview, readers get to see behind the curtain of Freak Show.

This latest installment of AHS is about a titular group of misfit performers, led by former German cabaret star Elsa Mars (Emmy winner Jessica Lange), who arrive in the small town of Jupiter, Florida.”My character is very manipulative,” says Lange. “She understands what’s needed and she provides it. However the thing I want to be very clear that Elsa really loves these people. She truly cares for them in her own selfish narcissistic way. It’s not just exploitation.”

With her show’s popularity waning, Elsa hopes to pump up attendance by finding and recruiting conjoined twins Bette and Dot (Sarah Paulson), two very different personalities sharing one body. “It’s not as simple as nice and evil,” Paulson says. “It’s more complicated, in true Ryan Murphy style.”

Elsa’s troupe includes Jimmy (Evan Peters), who was born with lobster-like hands, and his mother, bearded lady Ethel (Kathy Bates). “Ethel is basically Elsa’s right hand woman,” says co-creator Ryan Murphy. “She helps run the camp, and she’s sort of the guardian of the law. She had a real tragedy in that she was a real circus star in the ‘20s and 30s and then she had her baby and she became a down-and-out drunk, and Elsa saved her.”

Adding more drama to the tents is the arrival of Ethel’s ex-husband (and Jimmy’s father) Dell Toledo, a strongman who’s on the run from the law. “Jimmy is the big man on campus and is the male leader of the group until Dell comes and they begin to battle for power under Elsa,” says Murphy. Then there’s Dell’s new wife, Desiree Dupree, a three-breasted performer played by Angela Bassett. The role requires Bassett to wear a prosthetic that covers her entire chest. “Angela likes to flash them,” jokes Paulson. “She’s like, ‘Look at my 3 boobs!’”

Even freakier than a tri-boob? This season’s main villain, a nasty fella (and murderer) named Twisty the Clown (John Carroll Lynch). The evil Bozo has retired in Jupiter and is not thrilled by the arrival of the freak show. “He’s out to make their lives a living hell,” explains Murphy. “He’s wearing a mask on the lower part of his face and there comes a point in the season where takes the mask off and when you see what’s under you will faint in terror.”

Other Coven alums back for more (despite the scary clown) include Emma Roberts and Denis O’Hare as a pair of con artists, Frances Conroy as a wealthy woman whose son (Finn Whitrock) wants to join the freak show, and Gabourey Sidibe as a socialite who returns home to Jupiter when her mother (Patti LaBelle, who Murphy called personally to appear on the show) goes MIA.

There will, of course, be the hallmarks fans have come to expect from AHS, including time jumps (look for flashbacks to Elsa’s cabaret days in 1930s Germany as well as a peek at young Ethel) and a two-part Halloween episode featuring Wes Bentley (The Hunger Games) as a character named Edward Mordrake. “He is a very famous horror myth,” explains Murphy. “It was a man with two faces. A normal face and then a face on the back of his head that would whisper evil things and force the forward-facing entity to commit horrible crimes.”

Kenny
Member Avatar

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm looking forward to this season. I just hope it doesn't turn out like last season which started out strong and turned to shit about halfway through. Hopefully Ryan Murphy can keep his focus and actually finish the story this time.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Coven was certainly a drop from Murder House & especially Asylum...it was definitely lighter...but it was still very enjoyable to me.

I am sad that we are not going to see Lily Rabe in this season...I really enjoyed her in Season 1-3.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Holy shit that "Open Wide" promo FREAKED the SHIT outta me....
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Sep 16 2014, 11:14 AM.

am103
Member Avatar

Did anybody watch the premiere? All I have to say is... THAT CLOWN. Omg.

Kenny
Member Avatar

The clown bits were creepy but I wasn't impressed with the rest.

I didn't like that they spent so much time on the Bette/Dot reveal, mostly because we had already seen them in promos so there was no point in milking it so long. We already know they have two heads, why waste half the episode teasing something we've already seen?

The musical number was embarrassing. I almost turned the channel. Ryan Murphy's self-indulgent need to include his idols in every one of his projects (last season Steve Nicks, this season David Bowie, countless others on Glee) reeks of "obsessed fanboy." It wouldn't be so bad if it actually fit with the show, but it's obvious he just throws this stuff in for the sake of throwing it in.

"Freaks are people too!" "Just because we look different doesn't mean we don't have feelings!" If that's all we're going to get this season I might not make it past episode 2. I'm aware that Ryan Murphy isn't one for subtlety, but has he forgotten he's writing a horror show and not an after school special? I watch AHS to be scared and entertained, not to be spoon-fed life lessons I learned in the 6th grade.

I'll probably keep watching but I'm honestly not expecting much.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

The musical number was just embarrassing to sit and watch and that's with roommates and a good friend in the same room. I think this season has potential, but the premiere was underwhelming. Previews for the season looked good though. I do have to give props to Bates for just looking rough and not giving 2 fucks how awful she looks with that hairstyle and no make up.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Most of the reviews I've read are fairly positive so maybe I'm being too harsh.

I'll re-watch it tomorrow and see if my opinion changes.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I really enjoyed it, except for the musical number...that was just dumb and embarrassing to watch. The clown is creepy and the scene where he tormented the children disturbed me to no end. I am glad this season had a big killer again like Seasons 1 and 2.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Well ratings are in for AHS: Freak Show and it pulled a 3.1 18-49 rating, a series high for AHS.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/09/wednesday-cable-ratings-american-horror-story-tops-night-the-walking-dead-sneak-peek-south-park-teen-mom-ii-more/312389/

Blindassassin

I'm a big fan of the show, watched all 3 seasons. Agree on the clown...so creepy. I've never watched AHS and after an episode ended felt really creeped and disturbed. Did after the first episode. I think this may the one season that actually finally creeps me out! Loving the cast, and looking forward to episode two.

King
Member Avatar

It was okay. Clown and little woman were the best parts, IMO.

I am over Jessica Lange playing the same character for four seasons now. It's sooooo over done. BLAH!

Yeah, the rest was meh. It started strong but I liked it less and less as it went on.
Edited by King, Oct 15 2014, 12:28 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

King
Oct 15 2014, 12:28 PM

I am over Jessica Lange playing the same character for four seasons now. It's sooooo over done. BLAH!

THIS!

Bremol
Member Avatar

King
Oct 15 2014, 12:28 PM
It was okay. Clown and little woman were the best parts, IMO.

Yeah, the rest was meh. It started strong but I liked it less and less as it went on.
I finally got around to watching the premier this afternoon. Meh.

The Clown wasn't creepy to me, but I don't get creeped out easily, and I like clowns lol. The little woman is so darn cute, makes me wonder if there's something we've not seen about her that makes her more of a 'freak' than just being so tiny. There has to be something else...

I blush admitting this, but I kept wondering just exactly where Jimmy's fingers went in the scenes with the house wives. I know the toy his fingers are shaped like, which is what had me wondering in the first place...oy. :$

And I completely agree about Lange playing the same character. They should have shaken things up and had her playing Bates' character and Bates being the owner of the show. Isn't this supposed to be Lange's last season? Or did it say she'd stay on through a 5th season? I can't remember.

I was surprised at the end when it was revealed she has wooden legs.

The musical number...oh my.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I adore Jessica Lange but I agree she's played the same character for 4 seasons now. There have been slight variations, but it's more or less the same role over and over. I'm ready to see her do something else.

I liked the premiere better when I watched it the second time but I still thought it was slow and kind of boring. Hopefully it picks up with tonight's episode and the introduction of Michael Chiklis and Angela Basset's characters.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ryan Murphy couldn't lay it on any thicker if he tried.

"Why can't they see we're just like everyone else? If they would just get to know us they would see we're no different than they are!" Just... ugh. We get it. Freaks are people too. I know Ryan Murphy likes to use this theme in his shows -- giving a voice to the rejects/freaks of society -- but I don't need this show becoming an after-school special like Glee did. And if they really want us to like these characters, they should probably stop having them participate in rape orgies and biting off chicken heads and killing cops because it contradicts the message they're trying to send.

Another embarrassing musical number. A mosh pit to Fiona Apple? Seriously?

The introduction of Michael Chiklis and Angela Basset's characters didn't do anything for me. They seem to serve no purpose except to fill time and beef up the cast. And can we talk about Kathy Bates? What purpose does her character serve? And that accent? Terrible.

Once again, the only thing I liked about the episode was Gloria/Dandy and the clown. Finn Wittrock was great, as was Frances Conroy. There were bits of horror thrown in here and there, but not nearly enough for my liking. I know it's an obvious thing to point out, but this show is called American Horror Story. Why is there so little horror this season?

And why is the pacing so slow? Two episodes in and I'm already bored.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply