Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dark Shadows; 1966 - 1971
Topic Started: Oct 17 2014, 02:44 PM (4,421 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Dark Shadows
1966 - 1971

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

This show has been on my radar for awhile and I finally picked up "Dark Shadows: The Beginning Collection 1" the other day. A few people told me to skip the pre-Barnabas Collins episodes because they were "boring" but I generally have to watch a series from the beginning. And, after almost being finished with the second disc, I am glad that I did! These aren't boring. They are laying the groundwork and introducing us to the characters.

Any other fans out there?

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Not boring but ultimately irrelevant.

Without going into much detail you won't get closure on the threads from this era.

Mason
Member Avatar

The beginning's not bad (though I never made it past the second collection), but Barnabas era Collections 1 through whichever one in which the 1795 storyline ends is the show at its most entertaining.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Drew
Oct 19 2014, 10:36 PM
Not boring but ultimately irrelevant.

Without going into much detail you won't get closure on the threads from this era.
Is everything just dropped? Right now, the main focus (and my personal interest) is on Victoria's parentage and the history between the Collins family and Burke Devlin.

Now I am not sure if I should spend my time watching the pre-Barnabas episodes if the major stories right won't be revealed in the future. Lol.

:shrug:

Mason
Member Avatar

I think the original plan might have been for
Spoiler: click to toggle
-- but that never ended up happening.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Mason
Oct 20 2014, 10:07 PM
Not to mention

With that said if you hang in long enough David's mother plays a part in one of the later past-time stories, the story with Jason McGuire will actually make sense because you're not coming into it during the last 2 months, and not that it's terribly important but you'll understand why Vicki screams "Matthew Morgan!" when the Stokes characters begin appearing.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Oct 20 2014, 10:07 PM
That doesn't surprise me given the subtext that Joan Bennett and Alexandra Moltke are playing in scenes opposite one another. Plus, I was able to dig this up...

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Oh that's great.

I never saw her in anything else so it's cool to her snap into the Elizabeth inflections, I always assumed that was just how she spoke.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
Oct 22 2014, 08:32 PM
Oh that's great.

I never saw her in anything else
This is absolute blasphemy!

I started this show from the very beginning in 2007 and only got to the start of the 1795 story (somewhere in collection 5), but for some reason I stopped and haven't picked it back up for years.

In the beginning collection, I loved the Laura story and when Matthew kidnapped Victoria. It was so therapeutic to watch a story where someone wanted to take the annoying child in the show straight to hell! :D

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Old movies are boring.

I haven't finished the show either. I've made it as far as the Nicholas Blair and the Adam story. I was enjoying it though.

I did watch a few weeks of the 1800s story with Quenton Collins.
Edited by Drew, Oct 28 2014, 10:49 AM.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I'm on the second disc of "The Beginning: Part 2." Burke is inquiring about the Collins family assets, Victoria is hearing ghosts in the basement, and Bill Malloy is getting more involved in the entire situation. I think I am going to stick with these early episodes for now.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

When does the show start airing in color?

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Nov 23 2014, 06:37 PM
I don't know the exact timeframe but it's toward the end of the Barnabas/Maggie storyline if I remember correctly. If you're going by the DVDs, I think it's Collection 3?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Nov 23 2014, 07:03 PM
Casey
Nov 23 2014, 06:37 PM
I don't know the exact timeframe but it's toward the end of the Barnabas/Maggie storyline if I remember correctly. If you're going by the DVDs, I think it's Collection 3?
Thanks! I couldn't find a concrete time period. And I just picked it back up and Bill Malloy is missing/dead.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply