Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peyton Place and Return to Peyton Place; discussion
Topic Started: Nov 15 2014, 08:49 PM (239 Views)
Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Anyone here interested in discussing this show and the sort of continuation daytime soap? I remember the NBC daytime soap but never got to watch the original primetime series. For a brief time in the 1980s, USA ran repeats of the original show late in the morning or early afternoon on weekdays and I saw a couple of episodes but not very many and I'm not sure how long it was aired on that cable channel. I recently heard about it being on DVD. Not an official release but a sort of bootleg collection with the whole series and a couple of movies. I sent for it and have it but someone coincidentally started posting the episodes on YouTube the week I ordered it and it's more convenient to watch that way while it lasts. I really love it and have been watching episodes daily. I'm still fairly early in the show's run right now. It's all new to me and I can see how it would have been a big hit back then. It was very well written and the acting and directing is first rate.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

I'm currently watching Peyton Place, too. I'm on episode 141. Where are you at?

And for anyone who plans to post in here, NO SPOILERS, please!
Edited by Bright Eyes, Nov 15 2014, 08:53 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I'm at episode 203 I think. I won't post any spoilers because the spoiler toggle doesn't work for me. I love some of the characters and can't get enough of a few of them. Others I feel like slapping.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Nov 15 2014, 09:05 PM.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Oh shit, you're ahead of me. You better be careful what you write!

Betty is easily my favourite and I really like Steven Cord as well. Even his name is sexy.

Lee Grant has been marvelous as Stella Chernak. No wonder she won an Emmy for this role. Ada Jacks is great, too. However, the actress playing Rita is just not good. Norman gets on my nerves a hell of a lot too, but sometimes he'll throw out a sarcastic, witty remark that I love him for. I still laugh thinking about his biting, "Have fun at the beach" line to some random woman bothering Rita at her work. It was hilarious.

Alison and Rodney had instant chemistry, but it's hard for me to bear Rodney knowing how vile Ryan O'Neal is in real life.

Also, is it wrong that I thought Joe Chernak was a total babe?

Leslie Neilsen showing up was a huge surprise. He's practically Canadian royalty and seeing him playing a serious role was interesting, but soon as he arrived he took up such a large part of the show so quickly in a story that wasn't interesting enough to merit all that time. I was thankful when he took Claire with him, at least. I never warmed to that actress either.
Edited by Bright Eyes, Nov 15 2014, 09:15 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

When RTPP was airing, a few of the actors reprised their characters including Frank Ferguson as Eli. I can't stop laughing whenever he is on because there was a scene on the daytime soap with him coming home with Elliott and a kid while he was singing part of 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game'. My mom was walking past and said "Oh God!Imagine having to live with someone like that?". She was such a bitch when she disliked someone, real or fictional. I just keep remembering that. She never told me anything about the original series but I know she and my dad used to watch. Besides Eli-FF she told me once that she couldn't stand Christopher Connelly. I don't hate anyone yet although Dr Morton gave me high blood pressure and Stella Chernak was a maddening bitch.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

Betty and Steven are two of my favorites too and two characters involved with them have me spellbound but I won't name them because I'm not sure if they are on yet where you are watching. Lee Grant was a Goddess! Stella pissed me off and sometimes had me cheering. Joe really was a hot babe. I agree about Ryan O'Neal. I forget sometimes because he was actually good as Rodney but he is a hateful son of a bitch. Yeah Patricia Morrow isn't very good in the original show but she seemed better in the daytime soap or at least I remember her that way. Leslie Nielsen was great in that dual role but yes the story was a little zzz and so was Claire. I was intrigued by the Kenneth character though because of his interest in the mill. Ada was in one of the episodes I saw years agoand it was instant love. She is another favorite and actually caused an emotional reaction that I hardly ever experience in "real life" let alone while watching a show.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Nov 15 2014, 09:30 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I quoted my own post instead of yours. :(

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

I was sad to see Rodney and Norman's aunt written off so quickly. Her dynamic with Leslie was great. The way the show flipped the script between Leslie and George was brilliant. The actor playing George was always fantastic. I never thought I'd feel compassion for a wife beater, but the writing and his performances were really strong for that story.

The way the show also never succumbed to making Betty and Alison hate each other was so refreshing. They remained respectable all through out and even now, whenever Betty has scenes with either Alison or Rodney, it's completely must see because their history, and how much they all grew from it, will always be there. I wish we could get writing like that today.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I was expecting the hate between Betty and Allison too and I was happily surprised by the way they behaved towards each other. I loved George! I have never been able to have sympathy for an abuser but the show did such a good job and the actor is incredible. I knew him as a drunken Irish sea captain in reruns of an old show called Here Come The Brides. He was almost always used as comic relief. The same with Casey Rogers whom I only saw as Louise Tate on Bewitched. The character of Julie as a long suffering wife and the way the relationship was portrayed again was refreshing. I like Leslie too although I was cheering when George decked him. His relationship with his sister was great and I was sorry too to see her leave. No one is really all black or white in this show. Even Joe Chernak had moments where he seemed decent and vulnerable. The daytime series was a lot different as far as using Betty and Steven as villains. Selena Cross who never made it into the primetime show was the main bitch on RTTPP. She was played by Margaret Mason in between stints as Linda Patterson Phillips on Days. She was a great actress and Linda was one of my favorite soap bitches. She was Eve Howard on Y&R and she was a great asset to that show also. She died much too young.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I watched PP when it originally aired and only recently started watching the episodes on yt so I'm way behind both of you. Betty was always my favorite too. I loved Barbara Parkins and used to make sure to watch the many tv movies and mini series she made subsequent to PP. And yes, Steven Cord was sexy!

I couldn't stand Norman and Rita back then and that hasn't changed. And George Macready as Martin Peyton used to terrify me when I was a kid. Even now when I see him in an old movie I still have a negative reaction to him no matter what type of role he's playing, lol.

I also watched RTPP but I don't remember any of the storylines from that one so I guess it didn't make much of an impression on me. The best thing about it for me was seeing Margaret Mason, who was a favorite from Days. Wasn't her Selena a little bitchy on RTPP? That wasn't the case in the movie version or the book (in which she was an unfortunate girl from the wrong side of the tracks).

Edited by jam6242, Nov 16 2014, 10:45 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

Yes Selena was a trouble maker on the daytime soap. I don't know why they decided to bring that character to the screen in the first place since they never did on the original show. She was a nurse who married Mike Rossi on RTPP.She knew he was in love with Constance and schemed to keep them apart.it was much more of a traditional soap and the writing wasn't bad but it wasn't of the quality the original had.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I liked Norman and Rita a few times but they seem like filler along with Eli and the cornball humor. The best part about them to me is Ada. And Martin is a bit terrifying. He is complex though and I enjoy him a lot. I just think of him yelling "Get this rubbish out of here!" and Betty filling the brandy snifter and I love it.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I'm up to the color episodes and it was pretty jarring at first but I got used to it.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

I really love Martin Peyton and especially Hannah Cord. They fascinate me.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

I like them, too. It's always a treat to see Ruth Warrick. However, I do not like this Lola Albright actress trying to be Constance. I know Dorothy Malone is gone sooner rather than later, but please tell me this chick doesn't become permanent.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Nov 23 2014, 06:05 PM
I like them, too. It's always a treat to see Ruth Warrick. However, I do not like this Lola Albright actress trying to be Constance. I know Dorothy Malone is gone sooner rather than later, but please tell me this chick doesn't become permanent.
No she doesn't. Dorothy Malone comes back after about five or six episodes with Lola Albright. I only ever saw Ruth Warrick as Phoebe on AMC and of course in Citizen Kane. She is so good in this part that she just blows me away. Phoebe was usually played for laughs with some exceptions.She does some very heavy lifting in the acting department especially later on.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply