Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Emmy Reels; Pop TV
Topic Started: Apr 4 2015, 06:55 PM (4,765 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
^ My face watching DAYS

Thanks Lysie for the youtube links!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JaimeLannister

Call me a hater but I don't see the big deal about PM's performance. Honestly, all the lead actress reels are rather underwhelming. I hated everything about EJ's acid trip hallucination but I guess with some fanwank I can see why others would think it's good. AS is good but I think she had better performances than that, last year. Laura Wright was pretty good in her reel too.

No to Anthony Geary's reel.

Huge Billy Miller fan here but I feel like Michael Muhney steals the scene from him.

CB is head and shoulders above her competition.

All the rest - whatevs.

jdawg1077

Full disclosure: I’m still miffed that Blake Berris was robbed of a nomination for a second year in a row. With that said…

Scott Clifton – This is a good reel for SC. He’s clearly a good actor. The problem is that it’s a better reel for Darin Brooks. He kept getting all of my attention, which I don’t think is good if you’re going for an Emmy.

Chad Duell – What an exciting reel in general. MW was *fierce* in the first few minutes, but even then it didn’t detract from CD’s performance. You get to see him react to all of the revelations, and it feels genuine. One issue that bothered me, and maybe this is nit-picky: CD’s body language while holding the gun is all wrong. His body should be tense, his arm straight. His body seems almost relaxed, and it contradicts his face/voice/eyes. But the face/voice/eyes are quite good, and that might make the difference.

Kristoff St. John – He’s clearly the most experienced actor in the group. He plays the emotions effortlessly. He also plays blind well. The problem is two-fold: there’s no big Emmy moment, and it’s a long reel. Long reels aren’t always an issue, but when it’s lengthened by a bunch of flashbacks (should flashbacks even be allowed in reels?), it feels tedious. But because he is such a natural pro, that might not matter. It would not surprise me to see him win.

Jacob Young – What a reel! The emotion was pitch-perfect here, and JY was helped by great writing (loved the school of fish/pack of wolves line). The flashbacks at the end were a bit annoying, but it built up to the explosion of anger, so I can overlook it. Not a false or boring note to be found.

1.Jacob Young

2.Chad Duell

3.Kristoff St. John

4.Scott Clifton

jdawg1077

Tough race. I see four potential winners here, and my rankings could change depending on my mood. Seriously, it’s that tough, and they are that good.

Linsey Godfrey

She’s pretty good, but overshadowed by the rest of the cast (particularly by JY in the first half of the reel), despite the masca-rying (mascara crying). She spends most of the time listening and reacting to other actors with more emotional material. She does it well, mind you, but it’s not enough. The length of the reel doesn’t help in this case, either.

Amelia Heinle

I believe I had her ranked in last place for the awards last year. She won. So what do I know? In general this is a sweet reel. She does really well when she reads the homework assignment. Pitch perfect, in fact. The same goes for her crying about not being owed any more apologies. Really great emotion there. I like how the reel tells a bittersweet story about ‘moving on’. That’s the emotion that I get from AH here. Good reel.

Elizabeth Hendrickson

The reel kicks in when they get to the office, and her reaction to her loved ones is good. The tears are real, and you can feel the characters guilt and hope for a recovery (although I’m not sure what the story was). Each “goodbye” moment worked for me, because she wasn’t overshadowed by her fellow actors, she was complemented by them. It’s a longer reel, but in a case like this it works, because she is at the center of every moment, and every moment feels genuine.

Finola Hughes

A shorter reel, but wow! This is a veteran actress at the top of her game. One problem here is that IB gets just as much time and just as many moments as FH through much of the reel. It borders on the dreaded “overshadowing”, but then I look at FH’s face. It’s right on the mark.

Lisa Locicero

Ahhh, a drunk reel. And a good one at that. It’s a funny reel, but there is more to it than just humor. There’s emotion and sadness underneath. But the funny parts keep coming, and they actually made me laugh: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, adopting the dogs, and “they would never have sex with Ava Jerome”. Comedy is tough to pull off on soaps, but she LL nails it. I think this is my favorite, just because it’s so different.

1.Lisa Locicero

2.Elizabeth Hendrickson

3.Finola Hughes

4.Amelia Heinle

5.Linsey Godfrey

jdawg1077

Anthony Geary

Lots of exposition/explaining, which doesn’t lend itself to emotion very well. Plays the physical aspects of the drugged up Luke role convincingly, although the “filthy hands” outburst seemed hammy. He plays the villain role convincingly, too, but it comes across as a cartoonish villain, although the last scene of him speaking into the camera is good. But I don’t think AG will be adding an Emmy to his mantle this year.

Christian LeBlanc

Overshadowed by TB’s laughing reaction at first. Then he has a few moments of indignation, which is followed by more overshadowing by TB’s angry reaction. But then he gets the scene back in a big way with his own outburst. The rest is more evenly matched, but still TB gets the most emotion to play, although his final speech about the diagnosis is also good (the quiet moment is excellent, the ‘why me’ is a little hammy). So while there is that one great (and another good) moment, I don’t know if this is the right showcase.

Billy Miller

In the first few moments (perhaps because I’m unfamiliar with the story), BM seems a little hammy. But that subsides quickly as he discusses his last night with his daughter (although there are a few moments where it veers back into hamminess, but he keeps it under control). MM is quite good, and I think he plays grief better than BM plays anger, which again causes some overshadowing.

Jason Thompson

Just ten seconds in and I thought that this was the best reel. The next 10:50 only reinforced that opinion. This is a very good actor and a very good performance. I did not sense a false moment in his eyes, his face, or his body language. He’s not overshadowed by KM, he’s only complemented by her. No contest to me, and as a Days fan I have no skin in the game here.

1.Jason Thompson

2.Billy Miller

3.Christian LeBlanc

4.Anthony Geary

jdawg1077

Full disclosure: Days fan here. Would love to see one of the Days ladies, particularly AS, take home the trophy. As with Supporting Actress, I could easily see any four out of the five winning.

Peggy McCay

Such a sweet reel and speech. It’s 4 minutes, but she knocks it out of the park. I won’t get into any allegations of category fraud. Been there, done that. Based on the merits of the reel itself, it’s so good. And let’s remember (not that it matters in judging the best reel, but it amazes me nonetheless): PM is about to turn 85! The writing of Caroline’s speech is spot on, and she sells it. A great reel, but there’s so much else happening in this category.

Alison Sweeney

Gonna need a few paragraphs for this one, since it’s such a special case.

This nomination is long overdue. AS was never the best actress. She was, quite frankly, awful when she started in the early 90s. But her awkward nature happened to fit the character of Sami, and Days was not a “serious” show at the time that she was the resident villain. But she improved. She was overlooked when Sami was on death row. She was overlooked with Grace’s death and the baby-switch. And now finally, she gets her nomination.

I haven’t seen this reel since it first aired. It starts off slow for the first 2:30. And then she sees the picture and realizes what’s happening, and we’re off to the races. The next few minutes of processing are really good and quite realistic. The quiet way that she looks at the photograph; the silent tears. Then the slapping starts and we get Sami the lioness that we all know so well (and that AS has perfected). As long as the reel is, it’s enthralling (until the dream ends). Unlike other overlong reels (KSJ in supporting actor), I did not once look at the time stamp.

The one con is that the last few minutes are sort of dull, which is to be expected when a dream sequence ends. I do wonder if that will detract from the impression. Or it might impress voters even more to see how she changes gears so easily in the course of one episode.

I reviewed this reel last out of the group. As I was watching the others, I thought that she wouldn’t compare to the likes of MW or GT. But I think she has more than a great shot. Look, AS is not the best actress of the group. Some can argue that she might not even give the best performance in this category. But it’s the reel that matters. And the length of a really really good reel might outweigh a shorter great reel.

Gina Tognoni

In those first few moments she was a firecracker! Then the reel dips in energy when the daughter enters. But it picks back up again as she confronts PB. Man, she is good here. The hurt, the anger, it’s all there. PB is also very good, but it doesn’t detract from her energy. Very good reel.

Maura West

Holy mackerel! Another firecracker of a performance. This is clearly a complicated, damaged woman, and it shows through every ounce of the performance. There are a few quieter moments that belong to MB, and that might hurt her chances in a shorter reel. But the last two minutes of the reel is off-the-charts, and it might just seal the deal.

Laura Wright

And yet another really good reel. Against any other set of reels, this could be an easy winner. This is some great soap opera here, and LW pulls it off like a pro and she has a great screen partner in RW. In her favor is that it’s a consistent performance. There are no quiet moments.

1.Alison Sweeney

2.Maura West

3.Gina Tognoni

4.Laura Wright

5.Peggy McCay

thepadange
Member Avatar

We don't have info about shows' submissions for Best Drama or Writing, do we?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

The 42nd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards air live tonight at 8:00 ET/5:00 PT on PopTV.

Please join us in the live viewing thread for discussion of the ceremony as it airs.

We hope to see you there!

Link: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9234105/1/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply