Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Countdown: 20 Favorite Couples; Updated with couple 1
Topic Started: Aug 17 2015, 03:30 PM (20,614 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

All summaries in their entirety can be found starting on page 16 of this thread.
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9249455/16/

Days has had a LOT of couples in its 50 years on the air, but who's the best? We have no idea. That's completely subjective, and there's no real way to determine it. But we can determine who the current favorites are at DR! I asked you to each choose three so that we could get a little bit away from just looking for who has the most shippers here. Please don't turn this into a fight. I think you'll find some surprises along the way!

20. Brady Black and Nicole Walker

19. Will Horton and Sonny Kiriakis

18. Rafe Hernandez and Sami Brady

17. Philip Kiriakis and Chloe Lane

16. Brady Black and Chloe Lane

15. Justin and Adrienne

14. Tom and Alice Horton

13. Chad DiMera and Abigail Deveraux

12. Shawn Douglas Brady and Belle Black

11. Austin Reed and Carrie Brady

10. EJ DiMera and Sami Brady

9. EJ DiMera and Nicole Walker

8. Shane Donovan and Kimberly Brady

7. Doug and Julie

6. Eric Brady and Nicole Walker

5. John Black and Marlena Evans

4. Jack Deveraux and Jennifer Horton

3. Lucas Horton and Sami Brady

2. Bo Brady and Hope Williams

1. Steve Johnson and Kayla Brady

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Steve and Kayla have something going for them that most of the other long term pairings don’t. Some might consider it a good thing, while other might not. Steve and Kayla’s story started 29 years ago. But there was a huge gap between the beginning and where we’ve landed with them today. Don’t let that fool you, though. They packed enough love and angst into their first five years on the show to last a lifetime. Steve and his patch became somewhat of a signature for soaps, and while that patch left an impact on soap history, his sweetness’ name left an impact in culture. The name Kayla skyrocketed in popularity as the pairing took off.

Posted Image

Like many of our popular couples, the two didn’t appear to be a perfect match at the start. He had been hired to stalk her. He was criminal, and she was seemingly innocent and naïve. He was more than a little creepy, and he took “rough around the edges” to a new extreme. He had a patch, for crying out loud! He should have scared her. But he didn’t. She was intrigued by him, and she wasn’t afraid to stand up to him. But she also had a tender heart. That much was obvious to Steve whenever he ended up in her care at the clinic. Perhaps most noticeably, everyone else called him Patch, but she called him Steve. She saw him as a person, not as a scary hooligan.

Posted Image

In the beginning, Steve tried to push Kayla away. He thought himself too rough for her, too dangerous. But Kayla was tougher than she looked. She wasn’t going to be told what to do, especially when it conflicted so greatly with her heart. She ignored his warnings and her own family’s warnings and continued to pursue him. One thing that very much set these two apart from other supercouples was that Kayla, who probably looked more innocent and naïve than her contemporaries, was very much the aggressor. If she had left things to Steve, their relationship might have been forever grounded thanks to his own self-loathing.

Posted Image

Their relationship and her trust of him suffered many setbacks. He was arrested and tried for the murder of his biological father. He was actually protecting his younger sister who had done it, and then forgotten due to the trauma. The new family issues only further reinforced Steve’s desire to keep Kayla away from him. He feared turning out like his father. But once again, Kayla didn’t care. She loved Steve, and that’s all there was to it.

Posted Image

But his father and sister wouldn’t be the only Johnson family members to cause angst for Steve and Kayla. Kayla was hired to be the private nurse to the only son of a political family. The son had Hodgkins Disease. That son was Jack Deveraux. Steve would later figure out that Jack Deveraux was actually the brother that had been given up with him. Jack was very fond of Kayla, but she didn’t exactly return the feelings. He was convinced that he could eventually win her over. When Steve realized what it was that his brother wanted, he took things up a notch in shunning Kayla in an attempt to drive her into Jack’s arms. They believed Jack was dying, and Steve wanted to give him a reason to live. It worked - Jack and Kayla got married, and Jack survived.

Posted Image

Kayla then began to get sick. Steve suspected she was being poisoned (he was right), and kidnapped her. As the Deverauxs searched for her, Steve finally told Kayla the truth about why he had pushed her away and who Jack really was. With no secrets between them anymore, Steve and Kayla reunited and made love. Kayla wanted to leave Jack for Steve, but Steve and his mother begged her to stay with Jack until his political campaign had ended. She and Steve continued to carry on in secret, and were caught by photographers. The night he won the election, Jack was given the photographs. In an angry rage, he raped Kayla. Steve confronted Jack, leading to Jack needing a kidney, Steve donating his, and Kayla ultimately pressing charges against Jack. Kayla continued to endure torture from Jack’s adoptive father, and ended up deaf and mute after one particular attack. At that, Jack finally agreed to grant her the divorce she so desperately wanted so that she could be with Steve.

Posted Image

Steve and Kayla’s love was still there, but her confidence and bravery had taken a hit. Steve was there for her every step of the way. He learned to sign so that they could communicate, even learning the signs for their song “The Rose”. He put a lot of focus on the sign for “courage.” She wasn’t sure she could marry Steve in the state she was in, but he stood by her and reminded her of her own courage. Her hearing came back just before the dream wedding Steve had planned for her, but she still didn’t have her voice. Steve spoke his vows, and then Kayla faltered as her sister stood next to her ready to translate her signs. Steve signed “courage” for her, and her voice returned. I think that if you look up “soap opera” in the dictionary, there’s a screen cap of this moment. Well, maybe not, but it is the most watched episode of Days ever.

Posted Image

Their next few stories weren’t as focused on their relationship. They were already together after all. But they fostered a young boy who was deaf, only to find out he was actually Stefano DiMera’s son. The young boy ended up going to live with his maternal grandfather. They ended up in possession of some old civil war diaries that took them through a love story from the past…where the main characterS happened to a look a lot like them. Steve had surgery to fix his eye, so that he could go undercover.

Posted Image

Their next major conflict involved an ex from Steve’s past, Marina. Marina was actually Steve’s wife whom he believed had died. Steve’s eye sustained damage again while trying to help Marina. The patch returned (mostly thanks to an outcry from fans). Kayla and Marina argued, and Marina was later found dead. Kayla ended up being arrested at the wedding they decided to have since Marina initial return had invalidated their marriage. Kayla was pregnant and now on trial for murder. Steve continued to stand beside her. Kayla went into labor with baby Stephanie while on the witness stand for her trial. When Kayla was convicted, Steve supported her decision to keep the baby with her in prison, but he was also supportive when she called him to the prison to take the baby after realizing it was no place to take care of their daughter.

Posted Image

Shortly after Stephanie went home with Steve, she was kidnapped by her nanny. When Kayla found out, she broke out of prison, and she and Steve went in search of their daughter. They found her in Australia, and while there they also found out Kayla had been cleared of Marina’s murder. They came home, hopeful about the future and ready to start life as a family of three. But it was not to be. Steve was critically injured in an explosion set by Lawrence Alamain meant for Bo. Just as it seemed he was going to make it, a doctor working for Lawrence came in and poisoned his IV. For four years they had battled supervillains, annoying exes, family drama, deafness, muteness, eye…issues, prison, kidnappings, poisonings, and they had come out on top of everything life had thrown at them. But just like that, it was done. Of course, the audience knew there might be more to it. The audience was shown Steve’s coffin being tampered with, but it’d be another 16 years before anything came of it.

Posted Image

Kayla stayed in a Salem a little while longer, but eventually moved to California with Stephanie. She returned to Salem in 2006 for Frankie and Jennifer’s wedding. As she stepped out of the church to visit Steve’s grave, she couldn’t have prepared herself for who would find her there (well…maybe she could have if she’d been around the few years before for all of the returns from the dead that had been happening). Steve was there. He had no memory of her or his life with her, and he wasn’t terribly interested in it. The two grew closer, though, as they dealt with Stephanie and when they were quarantined together during an outbreak at the hospital. Steve eventually got his memory back, and they were hopeful that the worst was behind them. Whether or not that was true, may be debatable.

Posted Image

The next year brought them further apart as Steve’s ties to the DiMeras threatened to destroy him and them. It turned out that the DiMeras had gotten a hold of him after his death, and they still had ways of controlling him. Kayla worked hard to break through their control, and succeeded just in time to keep Steve from killing Bo. They experienced some more drama in their lives, but the next drama for their relationship once again came in the form of an ex of Steve’s. Her name was Ava, and she and Steve had been together when he had amnesia. Kayla was pregnant again, but the pregnancy was fragile. Ava attempted to kidnap Kayla, but ended up with Hope instead. When Kayla and Bo arrived to rescue Steve and Hope, they too were captured. During their captivity, Kayla found Ava and Steve in a very compromising position. Steve had agreed to sleep with Ava in exchange for Kayla's freedom. Soon after their escape/rescue, Kayla ended up going into premature labor, and their son Joe had joined their family.

Posted Image

Several months later, the pair quietly disappeared from Salem. Kayla made occasional visits, and then eventually moved back to take a position as Chief of Staff at University Hospital. She later revealed that she and Steve had been having issues . She divorced him after he went back to the ISA. And that’s where things left off…until today. Today for the first time in six years, Steve and Kayla will be back in Salem. We don’t yet know what awaits them, but they are back and there is sure to be angst, drama, love, and probably a little courage to go along with all of it. We’ll be there for the ride.
Edited by lysie, Aug 27 2015, 11:38 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Restless84
Member Avatar

I love how you're doing this, revealing a few couples at the time. Can't wait to read more!

Salemwatcher
Member Avatar

Ari Zucker was one leading lady Eric Martsolf had SO MUCH chemistry with!

lbchatterbox

I love the detailed descriptions and am super excited Bricole made the list.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

lysie
Aug 17 2015, 03:30 PM
Days has had a LOT of couples in its 50 years on the air, but who's the best? We have no idea. That's completely subjective, and there's no real way to determine it. But we can determine who the current favorites are at DR! I asked you to each choose three so that we could get a little bit away from just looking for who has the most shippers here. Please don't turn this into a fight. I think you'll find some surprises along the way!

Over the next couple of weeks we will be updating this list.

18. Rafe Hernandez and Sami Brady

.... Though there was the one time Sami saved Rafe’s penis from Stefano’s henchman….
:lol:

Thanks Lysie! Love this list so far! :hug:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

truluvpassions07
Member Avatar

I love these three choices! You could stop here...but I know the JM shippers are waiting patiently for them to show up. :) :D

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

These choices make it clear that I am not on par with the DR audience.
Edited by Bright Eyes, Aug 17 2015, 04:51 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Aug 17 2015, 04:47 PM
These choice make it clear that I am not on par with the DR audience.
I've been meaning to ask you for years...how are you so familiar with the 70s?

KLK
Member Avatar

Bricole was the first Nicole pairing (EM) that I fell for. Can't believe the show kept passing them up for other pairings.

esp13
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
These choices make it clear that I am not on par with the DR audience.
These are only numbers 18-20. Still plenty of room for others.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

lysie
Aug 17 2015, 04:49 PM
Bright Eyes
Because any articles, summaries, anecdotes (etc) from that time, I've devoured. Characters like Brooke Hamilton, Linda Anderson and the early Horton sagas staying with me more than anything that came afterwards.

I just hope you're not asking because you think I'm full of it. :mellow:

missmeka1987_
Member Avatar
Love To Love

Bricole w/ EM is one of my favorite couple gosh the chemistry BTW I'm late Lysie I love your gif/Avi :D

lysie
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Aug 17 2015, 04:59 PM
lysie
Bright Eyes
Because any articles, summaries, anecdotes (etc) from that time, I've devoured. Characters like Brooke Hamilton, Linda Anderson and the early Horton sagas staying with me more than anything that came afterwards.

No, lol. I've just always wondered. I was hoping you'd been holding out on all of us and had some videos stashed or something.

elizhope
Member Avatar

Lysie have I mentioned I'm a "read the last page of the book first" kinda girl? ;)

jam6242
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Aug 17 2015, 04:59 PM
lysie
Bright Eyes

I think you have excellent taste! ^_^

Cimz
Member Avatar

I'm surprised but pleased to see Bricole on the list. I'm still heartbroken from the time he told her she'd lost her first EJole baby.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

Well. I don't like any of those couples. LOL. But this is a cool way to do it, looking forward to the rest being revealed over time :) :) :)

Ashtonion
Member Avatar
Xcole!!!

I liked Bricole but I was in love with Ejole at the time, who I hope also pops up on the list somewhere down the line.

throughthehourglass
Member Avatar

Man, I am still a sucker for Bricole. AZ and EM have great chemistry together - I never rooted for Bricole when KL was playing Brady. Wish the show had taken a chance at this couple, all the "what could've been" hurt my shipper heart.

throughthehourglass
Member Avatar

Ashtonion
Aug 17 2015, 07:51 PM
I liked Bricole but I was in love with Ejole at the time, who I hope also pops up on the list somewhere down the line.
I love Ejole, still my favorite Nicole ship, but when she was about to marry EJ, and Brady tried to stop her and poured his heart out... I don't think I've ever been that torn before, lol. So soapy :wub2:

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply